Yassıhöyük

Some shots of the town where we're staying, Yassıhöyük. 

This is the local minaret, from which they issue the call to prayer five times a day. The first call is just before 4 in the morning, which thoroughly confused me the first time I heard it. I was awake for the early call to prayer for the first 4 or 5 mornings after I got here, until at long last I got over my jet lag. Now I'm happy to say I only hear 4 out of 5 calls to prayer in any given day. 

Typical construction in the village.

The Gordion cafe, next to the museum. They have delicious dondurma (ice cream) and gozleme (fried pastry filled with cheese).

This is the local flock of sheep, and the donkey who leads them.  


Every day, this flock of sheep goes back and forth across the fields, with the donkey in front and the shepherd following behind. What I haven't figured out is if the donkey knows where hes going, or if the shepherd is content to have the donkey wander wherever he sees fit. 



1 comment:

  1. Great pictures, beautiful little town you're in. I never knew donkeys could be sheperds. That's got to be a funny sight to see. Bring back some of those cheese-filled fried pastries, please.

    ReplyDelete