Trip to Safronbolu

For our day off we took a trip to Safronbolu, a UNESCO world heritage town just a few hours north of Ankara. The town is known for its preserved Ottoman houses, and is incredibly charming. We stayed the night, toured around, and then headed back to Gordion the next day. The town is a large draw for Turkish tourists, but doesn't seem to get many foreign visitors. It was interesting to travel around in a place where people really don't speak English. Luckily, one of my travel companions speaks very good Turkish, and could help us navigate. I'm working on my Turkish, and improving a bit, but have really only mastered greetings and fruits. 

A view of the town.

The local mosque.

Old tools outside of a museum we visited.

They gave us blue booties to put over our shoes when we toured one of the Ottoman houses. I think they would be handy to keep my shoes nice in a many situations.

A vendor. Thats about all I have to say about this photo.

I should have bought one of those fancy tea-sets.

This is where we ate dinner. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice field trip to a very charming little town. The rugs in the Ottoman house were quite beautiful as well as the vendor's tea sets. Nice way to spend your one day off.

    ReplyDelete