A Night of Black Sea Dancing

We went out for dinner in Ankara, at a wonderful restaurant on a terrace that had (by far) the best Turkish food I've had. They seemed reluctant to let us in at first, but Gareth somehow managed to get us a spot. I think some name dropping might have been involved, but who really knows. Anyhow, I love meze. 


This was the only photo I took at dinner. We were the only foreigners there, and were already receiving a lot of stares, so I tried to refrain from looking any more like a tourist. 

From there, we ended up going to watch Black Sea style music at a bar next door. The bag pipe player, Ozbay, works at the hotel where we always stay, and has toured the world playing music.  There was a lively group at the bar, and everyone was up and dancing most of the evening. We got roped into joining for a few numbers, but the steps are complicated, and I made a complete fool of myself. Oh well. Luckily most people seemed excited enough by the music to ignore the presence of a few token foreigners. The people of the Black Sea region of Turkey, I was told, have a distinct regional identity and culture, and identify very strongly with hailing from the region.
    
 
Ozbay explains how the bagpipe works. 

Gareth gives it a try.

The dancing begins. 


1 comment:

  1. Dinner looked delicious, elizabeth. where are you headed to now?

    ReplyDelete