Anıtkabir (Part 1)

I've been on the move, and am now really far behind on this blog. I've yet to resolve my internet issues, but hopefully I'll have that taken care of soon...

In any case, we went into Ankara again for my last day off from Gordion. Janet (my roommate, and an absolutely delightful person) suggested we go to the Anitkabir, Atatürk's mausoleum. For anyone who makes it to Ankara, or even Turkey, this is a place you have to see. Atatürk is the father of modern Turkey, and is revered almost like a god. The mausoleum is a fantastic example of fervent nationalism at its finest, with Atatürk's clothes, personal effects, and even his dog on display. There is also a section dedicated to the War of Independance, fought against the Greeks. One of the major battles was actually fought in the area right around Gordion, strangely enough. Its hard not to be moved by tales of wartime atrocities and triumphant victories, the elaborate dioramas and the general nationalistic excess. 
  
The changing of the high-stepping guards.

Statues depicting women in national costumes of Turkey.

More guards.

The main building, housing Atatürk's body.

I just thought these reliefs were fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment