Sleeping on the roof

One of the things I was most eager to do during my time in Syria was sleep on the roof. Because of the intense heat retained in buildings, even after dark, many people sleep outside on either a sleeping platform or the roofs of their houses. When it was 90 degrees in my room at night, I understood why. So I was thrilled to be offered a cot on the roof at Rasafa. Then I was reminded that we were in a desert, and that it gets incredibly cold at night, and was handed a large blanket. It does in fact get very cold. But it was still beautiful, and completely worth it to fall asleep with a sky full of shooting stars in the desert.

The cots in the foreground, with the crew's tents and 
ruins of Rasafa in the background. 

The view from the roof. The sheep are huddling 
in each others' shadows to keep cool.

The cots at dawn. 


Huddling together for warmth and watching the sun rise. 
This picture was taken to prove that it does in fact get cold in Syria. 

No comments:

Post a Comment